"How about optimizing Access applications to run faster. I have an application that is quite fat - numerous
forms, linked tables, etc... - that has to run faster."
If the overall app is sluggish, try these (in no order):
- Compact the database
- Decompile and then compile & save all modules
- Remove old 'test' tables & queries that you no longer need
- Change any background graphics to the non-editable variety
- Run the database analyzer wizard, which can suggest adding indexes (but don't necessarily do everything it
- Run scandisk on the PC, empty the browser cache & c:\windows\temp files, and verify that you've got free
hard disk space equal to at least 2x the size of the app.
- Verify that the installed RAM is at least 32 MB or 1x the size of the app, whichever is larger.
If a particular portion is slow, use a stopwatch to time it out, and then study what goes into that portion
& try making changes. The more you can localize a bottleneck, the better chance of correcting it.